The CEI SEEMO Award for Outstanding Merits in Investigative Journalism is meant to promote high-quality investigative journalism and acknowledge the efforts of investigative journalists often working under difficult conditions in the context of threats to media freedom and personal safety.
This year’s Award seeks to highlight the role of investigative journalists in connection with major crises and emergencies, like the war in Ukraine caused by the Russian aggression, and the challenges they face to provide accurate, reliable information. Special attention will be paid to investigative stories focusing on the consequences of the war such as: violation of human rights, war crimes, refugee crisis, propaganda, fake news.
The Call is open to nationals of CEI Member States: Albania, Belarus* , Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Italy, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine.
The Award is divided into two categories:
1. PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTS 4,000 EUR
2. YOUNG PROFESSIONAL JOURNALISTS (born on/after 1993) 1,000 EUR
Category 1: candidates who have been actively involved in investigative reporting over the last three years and are still active in journalism. Two samples of journalistic work will be relevant for the evaluation from the jury.
Category 2: candidates who have been actively involved in investigative reporting, even in the context of training activities organised by schools/universities/NGOs and, as a result, should have published at least one investigative story meeting all professional standards. One sample of journalistic work will be relevant for the evaluation from the jury.
Print, Radio, TV, news agencies and Internet media are admitted.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates shall fill in the Online Application Form available here: https://tinyurl.com/s9wrxf33
The following documents in PDF format shall be uploaded:
1. Curriculum vitae (in English).
2. Recommendation letter (in English) written and signed by trustworthy individuals, journalism and media organisations, media companies, civil society organisations, journalism schools or universities, trade unions or other social organisations from the target countries.
3. Up to three samples of journalistic work in a single PDF document (minimum two samples in Category 1, one sample in Category 2). For online work samples, insert hyperlinks in a PDF document, or print out online articles in a PDF file. Hyperlinks need to be accessible by 30 November 2023. In the case of audio/video material, please upload the files making use of file-sharing services (e.g. WeTransfer or Dropbox) including a script or scenario. Material prepared in local languages should be accompanied by a short summary in English.
Applications that do not include all requested documentation will not be considered.
Applications shall be submitted by 30 June 2023 (23:59 CEST).
Applications will be examined by an international jury composed of distinguished journalists and media experts from the region, which may also include winners of previous editions of the Award. The awarding ceremony will take place during the South East Europe Media Forum (SEEMF) to be held in Tirana, Albania, in November 2023.
The jury will take into account the relevance of the matters covered by the reports, which should have a focus on the target countries as well as the quality of reporting in terms of documentation, data, writing and production. The personal risks taken while performing the duties as well as the impact on society of the messages conveyed will also be evaluated.
www.cei.int // firstname.lastname@example.org
www.seemo.org // email@example.com